Translate

Saturday, November 19, 2016

"Will the Catholic Church Allow Women to Serve in Leadership Roles?" by Barbara Brosher , WFYI

http://www.wfyi.org/news/articles/will-the-catholic-church-allow-women-to-serve-in-leadership-roles
Bishop Nancy Meyer RCWP presiding at St. Mary of Magdala Catholic Community in Indianapolis


"At first glance, the Sunday mass at Indiana’s Interchurch Center in Indianapolis may not appear much different than those you’d see in traditional Catholic churches. There’s singing, praying and the offering of communion. 
But there’s a woman presiding over the mass. Today, it’s Bishop Nancy Meyer.
“It became real clear to me that I was called to ministry when I was 11 years old,” Meyer says. “It was very clear to me it was a priest call.”
Meyer is one of several women who leads services for the St. Mary of Magdala Catholic Community. But what’s happening here isn’t sanctioned by the Catholic Church. That’s why the community gathers at the Interchurch Center or at their homes.
“I’m able to do almost everything that I want to do,” Meyer says. “I’m just not able at this point, in this country, to do it within the church building or with the blessing of the church officials — the archbishop of the church.”
Pope Francis is examining whether women can serve in the Catholic Church as deacons through a newly-formed commission.
Pastor Maria McClain says she’s heard this before.
“I know what the Pope has said about women and leadership and he’s not for it,” McClain says. “This could be just a way of trying to keep people happy.”...

No comments: